Rick Bayless on corn tortillas

Haack Carolyn <haacknjack@sbcglobal.net>
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 06:48:44 -0800 (PST)
v109.n008.7
Corn Tortillas -- Rick Bayless (Chicago's Frontera Grill and Public TV chef

"The first fundamental I learned was that fresh corn tortillas are
absolutely essential. They're the all-important foundation of Mexican
cooking, the canvas on which Mexican flavors are painted. Simply
made, with neither salt nor fat, hot-off-the-griddle corn tortillas
provide the same intrinsic, mom-made deliciousness as crusty, warm
bread fresh from the oven. Their earthiness is the perfect wrapper
for flavors that traditionally emerge from the Mexican kitchen.
Mingling with their aroma is that of frijoles de olla, or boiled
beans. This scent has suffused every kitchen I've had, welcoming all
with a comforting embrace."

Recipe from his Rick Bayless's _Mexican Kitchen_ calls for "1.25 cups
masa harina for tortillas (such as Maseca brand), mixed with 1 cup
plus 2 Tablespoons hot tap water. Mix the masa harina with the water,
cover and let stand 30 minutes. Then work in cool water, a Tablespoon
at a time, until dough is as soft as you can get it without being
sticky. Cover with plastic wrap."

His recipe calls for a tortilla press, but otherwise seems to follow
your procedure fairly closely. So I'd check the masa harina itself --
it's practically the only ingredient, and perhaps moving up to a more
ethnic/gourmet label will help your flavor quotient.