RE: slicing bread

Brian Rice <berice@comcast.net>
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:25:38 -0500
v109.n008.6
As a novice worker but experienced bread-baker, I agree with the
sawing wood/slicing bread analogy.  They're two very similar skills.
One thing I always keep in mind when slicing bread is to hold the
knife the way I would a saw.  That is, with my index finger extended
and not curled underneath the handle.  I think this helps you guide
the knife better.  Also, as others have mentioned, let the knife do
the work; don't force or otherwise over-pressure it.

One other thing to remember, though, is that most bread knives are
serrated.  The serrations, I think, do have a tendency to cause the
knife to pull to one side or the other.  (Sorry, I can't remember if
it's towards the serrated side or away from it.)  You do need to
apply slight pressure to compensate for this tendency.

-Brian