Meltaways

"Barbara Wright" <beewright@roadrunner.com>
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:52:24 -0500
v107.n006.10
I'm interested in a recipe called Meltaways. It is neither the cookie
or candy. I went on the net and found bakeries that make these. I
emailed a bakery in Rhode Island, they use a Danish dough, roll it
out like making cinnamon rolls, spread with a cream cheese smear,
roll and cut. They are baked in muffin pans, and when they come out
of the oven, while still in the muffin pan, they use a wooden paddle
to flatten them a bit, dump them on trays, and when cool frost them
with a sugar icing and nuts. Another bakery said they use a Sweet
Yeast Dough to make their Meltaways.

I also found a site for a Culinary Program that teaches Laminated doughs:
Danish doughs: snails, bear claws, figure eight, 3 leaf, pockets.
Variety of fillings: cheese, prune, lekvar, meltaway Coffee cakes:
braided, meltaway, scissor cut.

Meltaways are made at a bakery called Bonatt's Bakery in Harwichport,
MA. and at Savage's Bakery in Homewood, Ala.

Another person emailed this to me:
The meltaways I used to make in the bakeries was made using Danish
dough. Rolled out like for a cinnamon roll, smeared with either Cream
Cheese filling or plain buttercream, then folded from the outside
edge to the center from both sides. It was then folded on itself so
it looked a little like a horse hoof. Rolls were cut about 1/2 to 3/4
of inch thick, placed onto pans, proofed and baked. I never did glaze
them after the oven because they always seemed to break apart. You
could spray them with simple syrup if you like. Once cooled they
could iced using the string method (so they don't break) and serve.

Have you ever heard of them? If you can add anything else please let
me know!!! I can make cinnamon rolls but would like to learn how to
make meltaways.