Sourdough Issues

Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@tds.net>
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:23:19 -0800
v107.n006.11
Hi Folks,

For awhile I've been making Amy's Crusty Italian Loaf  from Amy's
Bread, (William Morrow and Company, 1996).  This is a sponge starter
bread, and I bake it on a baking stone.  The results have been very
good. Recently, though, I decided to try sourdough.  I've been
following the method outlined in Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's
Apprentice, (10 Speed Press, 2001.)  I'm having two issues.  First,
the dough rises /very/ slowly, as in 6 hours at 67 F for the final
rise left the bread significantly under-proofed.  I've seen
suggestions of adding some citric acid or diastatiic malt compound.
Would this be a good idea? Anyone have other suggestions? Second, the
dough tends to spread rather than rise, if you know what I mean.  Any ideas?

Regards,
Peter De Smidt
www.desmidt.net