About "Why No Knead"

Gloria J Martin <ggmartin2@juno.com>
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:54:22 -0600
v107.n006.9
There was a posting by Judi last time and I do have several things to
say about it.

First off, she said she makes bread with her Cuisinart--good for her!
I've made hundreds of loaves that way, literally. She said to use the
metal blade, as the plastic one was unnecessary. If you read in the
manual, it will say if you are using 3 cups or less of flour to use
the metal blade. If you are using more than that, to use the plastic
blade---it is less hard on the motor. I don't argue with the company
on that. I've the 4 sizes of processors and I believe in following
their directions as to quantity and blade. I usually use the 14 cup
one. The Cusinart is the easiest and least messy way to make most
loaves of bread. I've used my Kitchen Aid once to make bread--to
satisfy by husband who gave it to me, and it took longed and I got
flour on my counter.

Second--To compare the bread made with the Cusinart (excellent bread)
with the "No Knead" is like comparing apples and oranges. The "No
Knead" is an Artisan (almost) type. The wonderful crust and large
holes and wonderful flavor make it special. I would say it depends on
what you intend to serve the bread with, as to the type you make.
Personally, I don't as a rule eat bread. I just don't find it
interesting if it isn't hot, or some special kind. I don't like cold
sandwiches because the bread is just bread--even when home made. I
actually love to eat a slice of "No Knead" bread with butter, or
lightly toasted, or with soup or stew. The flavor and texture are
especially appealing to me.

450 F works perfectly for me. Different ovens, I suppose, although
mine usually runs hot so I adjust it down for most other recipes. I
believe the smaller the container used, the less heat you need
because the space inside the container is smaller, and the lid is
closer to the dough. I find a crock type container is better than a
heavy metal type. I use the one out of my Crock Pot (Rival)--do be
sure the lid is glass, not plastic, and the handle is porcelain or
metal--I melted a different brand that had a plastic handle on the
glass lid. What a surprise when I went to remove the lid!  I've used
a 4 qt. one, a 5 qt. one and a 6 qt. one. I like the size and results
best from the 5 qt. one.

I love the Bread Bakers site because there are different opinions,
recipes and questions can be answered. Blessing on all those who work
to get the postings out each week.