microwave bread

"Kenneth McMurtrey" <kdlam@megagate.com>
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:28:35 -0500
v105.n036.2
Margaret asked about making bread in the microwave.  There is a
recipe for English Muffin Bread that you can find at the web site for
Fleichmann's yeast
   <http://www.breadworld.com/recipes/recipedetail.asp?id=3D132>

This site gives recipes for the bread, a whole wheat version, and two
variations:  cinnamon/date, and orange/nut.  I've copied them
below.  The site has many recipes for bread.

In writing this it occurs to me that you may want to consider a bread
machine.  I've never used one so others would be better placed to
speak to the amount of heat they give off.  I live in southern
Mississippi and have the same summer baking problems as you do.

I've made the bread successfully a couple of times.  The bread is
almost crustless, or I should say that the crust doesn't brown.  It
isn't exactly like English muffins but not unlike them either.  I
have always sliced and toasted the bread before eating.  I made only
the primary recipe and haven't tried the whole wheat version or the
flavored versions.

You will need a microwave bread pan.  I used a glass loaf pan.

Hope this helps,
Ken

English Muffin Bread (Microwave Oven Recipe)
Makes 1 loaf

1/4 cup warm water (100 to 110F)
1 envelopes FLEISCHMANN'S Active Dry Yeast
1 cup warm milk (100 to 110F)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
Cornmeal

Directions
Place warm water in large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until
dissolved. Stir in warm milk, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Gradually
stir in enough flour to make soft dough.

Grease 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch microwave-safe loaf pan; sprinkle with
cornmeal. Place batter in pan; sprinkle with additional cornmeal. To
let rise, microwave*, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50% power) for 1 minute.
Let rest 10 minutes. Repeat microwaving and resting 1 or 2 times,
until doubled in size.

To bake, microwave on HIGH (100% power) for 4 to 6 minutes or until
top is no longer moist. Let stand 5 minutes in pan. Remove from pan;
let cool on wire rack. Slice and toast to serve.

*Tested in 650-watt microwave oven.

Whole Wheat English Muffin Bread: Replace 1 cup all-purpose flour
with 1 cup whole wheat flour. Proceed with recipe as directed.

Cinnamon-Date English Muffin Bread: Add 1 teaspoon SPICE ISLANDS
Ground Cinnamon along with baking soda; blend well. Stir in 1/2 cup
imported chopped or snipped pitted dates, along with flour. Proceed
with recipe as directed.

Orange-Nut English Muffin Bread: Add 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
along with baking soda; blend well. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped toasted
blanched almonds along with flour. Proceed with recipe as directed.