cloche use

"Kenneth McMurtrey" <kdlam@megagate.com>
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:01:00 -0500
v105.n036.1
Adele asks about using a cloche.  I have a Sassafras Superstone
Covered Baker, apparently the term cloche may be protected as it is
one but made by another company.  The one I have is baguette shaped,
more or less.  The company also makes a round one for baking boules.

The instructions are:  "To prepare your baker, grease well and
sprinkle with cornmeal before placing in the dough for final
rising.  For meats, poultry or fish, simply grease before use."

A recipe for "Basic French Bread" has the following ingredients:

1 1/2 pkgs active dry yeast
2 cups hot water
6 - 7 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp honey

These amounts make two loaves of bread.  The dough is mixed, kneaded,
allowed to rise, punched down and divided into two pieces.  One of
them is shaped into a baguette and placed in the cloche (preped with
cornmeal).  The cloche is covered, the dough allowed to rise again,
the loaf is slashed, its top brushed with water, the lid replaced,
and baked at 400 F for 30 to 40 min, removing the lid during the final 10 min.

The instruction leaflet also has a recipe for rye bread (3 c
all-purpose flour, 2 c rye flour, 2 c water, etc.) and recipe for
"Beef Tenderloin ala Covered Baker" and "Chicken and Broccoli."

In these last two recipes the baker is used about the same way a
Romertopf clay baker is used.  I have a Romertopf and have used it to
bake bread in.  The effect is the same as the cloche.  There was a
question recently on the list about using a Romertopf to bake bread.

The amount of dough you will need for your particular
cloche/Romertopf will depend on its volume.

Hope this helps.
Ken