Cumin Crisps

"Sonia Martinez" <cubanwahine@hawaii.rr.com>
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 06:10:32 -1000
v104.n005.4
Aloha y'all!

I was recently discussing with another foodie friend the Cubans fondness
for cumin seeds or powder in cooking.  I mentioned that I love using it
with black beans and my friend wrote back sharing the following recipe with
our Cocina Cubana cooking group.  I tried them yesterday afternoon and they
were very, very good.  I made them in thin solid sheets and then broke into
pieces, like irregular lavosh

Sonia

CUMIN CRISPS

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
6 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar or other mild white vinegar
1 Tablespoons cumin seeds
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup water or more as needed

Heat oven to 450F and set rack on the middle level. Have ready, two
non-stick baking sheets or line the baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk together the flour and sugar in a bowl, then whisk in the vinegar
until smooth. The batter will be quite thick. Stir in the cumin seeds and
butter and whisk again, then stir in enough water to make a smooth,
spreadable mixture.

Let rest for 10 minutes.

Drop teaspoons of the batter several inches apart on the baking sheets and,
with a pastry brush or spatula, spread the batter very thin - as thin as
paper - into any shape you like. Don't be tempted to layer the batter.
Alternately, the batter can be spread paper-thin into one big sheet, which
can be broken, after baking, into irregular pieces.)

Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until light brown and crisp on the edges. Cool on
the baking sheets; the crackers will crisp further as they cool. Serve
immediately, or store in an airtight container for a few days. Makes 40 to
50 crackers.