Re: All crust in the middle

"Barrie J. Lax" <barlax@synapse.net>
Sun, 11 May 2003 19:43:34 -0400
v103.n024.6
>From: evelyngreco@onebox.com
>
>In Italy I ran into a roll that was all crust and nothing in the
>middle.  As a butter lover, this was perfect for me, all crust, no middle.

Evelyn ..

I really had a good laugh when I read your message, it brought back many
memories.

This was the way Italian bread was /is, often mostly crust ..otherwise
appearing as if a mouse had tunnelled his way through. Most bread today is
sold by weight in Italy for this reason, people felt ripped off and the
government was forced to act. Exactly how they get it this way is beyond
me, more a question I think of yeast used, water content, and baking
technique. I lived for a time in Milano and this is how all my bread and
rolls seemed to be ... there were other types available at the larger
stores, but at the store where I bought my processed meat, these were the
only kind available.

Which brings back another memory. Years ago I visited a small town in Nova
Scotia and sat down to a lunch of fish and chips. The fish was plump and
golden, very tasty, the only problem is that there was hardly any fish
inside the batter !!! You certainly couldn't tell from the outside, only
when you cut into it did you notice it was mostly hollow. I was most
impressed, I asked the owner to tell me how he managed to produce fried
fish with so little fish .. even offered to put together a franchise to
sell the stuff. He wouldn't bite, and in fact I think he felt insulted. I
was only sad.. I missed my chance to make a fortune, making fish without fish!!

Barrie J. Lax
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

thank you