German Rolls

Bruno Maj Michael G <BrunoMG@4MCD.USMC.MIL>
Tue, 13 May 2003 10:03:56 -0400
v103.n024.7
Just joined this site and think it's great.  Don't know how it actually
works but will try.  I have been trying for years to replicate the crusty
german brotchen you find pretty commonly over there.  I have tried all
kinds of things including:

a.  Two Fibrament baking stones (one top/one bottom)
b.  Lava Rocks in a pan in the bottom of my oven (to produce steam).
c.  Spritzing water into the oven during the 1st few minutes to augment the
steam.
d.  Folding egg whites into the dough.
e.  Wet doughs.
f.  Longer and also shorter rise times.
g.  One or two rises and then forming.
h.  Ascorbic acid, lecethin, corn oil additions
i.  Egg white washes

I could keep going but nothing I've tried seems to work or produce a
product that is even close.  The Brotchen are crusty, crackly, very high,
nice brown color, etc.  Can anyone provide a good recipe or technique to
assist in this matter?  I do think it probably has something to do with
dough conditioners but that's about as far as I've gotten.  Thanks!