Re: Bagel Disaster

Lorna Campbell <LCampbell@ecosse.net>
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:36:57 +0100
v103.n021.3
At 5:23 pm -0600 20/4/03, "Jazzbel" <jazzbell@coralwave.com> wrote:
>Subject: Bagel Disaster
>
>I just tried Peter Reinhart's Bagel Recipe.  What a disaster.  I must have
>done plenty wrong.
>
>They were nicely shaped when I started, but I think they rose too much in
>the fridge, they ended up touching each other and the hole disappeared in
>about half of them

Jazzbel,

Have you ever checked your fridge temperature?  I did, and discovered why
things weren't keeping as long as I thought they should.  It was 12C!!  It
should be between 4 and 6C on the bottom shelf, which should be the coldest
part in the fridge.

Yeast grows best at about 20 - 25C, and generally slows to a crawl as it
approaches 4C....

Hope that helps next time.

Lorna.
--