Bagel Disaster

"Jazzbel" <jazzbell@coralwave.com>
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:35:48 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
v103.n020.3
  I just tried Peter Reinhart's Bagel Recipe.  What a disaster.  I must have
done plenty wrong.

I went through the trouble of buying the high gluten flour (14%) and the
barley syrup.

I then followed the instructions, and measured the ingredients on a scale;

1.   Starter
2.   Finished the dough and divided into 4 oz. pieces. Rest.

3.  Shaped the bagels-- the dough was easy to handle, and even to get the
life-saver shape.  Placed on the oiled parchment sheets.  Rest until it
floats in less than 10 sec.Then Placed in the fridge overnight.

They were nicely shaped when I started, but I think they rose too much in
the fridge, they ended up touching each other and the hole disappeared in
about half of them

It was difficult to move them to the boiling water , not to mention
separating them.  But they did not change shape duering the boiling, which
often happens to me.  They were too chewy, and the oil and cormeanl did not
stop the pesky little things from sticking horribly to the paper.

They did not taste too bad, but it is too much trrouble to maken them again.

I will go back to my conventional recipe from Betty Crocker or Better Homes
and Gardens, and I will probably reduce the yeast and use the starter method

There is one thing that might have saved the experience:  I will use the
retardation method, which would allow me to have fresh bagels in the morning

Later,
Jazzbel