Cornmeal on Baking Tiles

Terry Vlossak <tvlossak@yahoo.com>
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:45:40 -0700 (PDT)
v102.n046.21
Joshi posted a question in the list a few weeks back about how to keep
things from sticking onto his unglazed baking tiles.  I've used the
inexpensive, unglazed baking tiles I bought from Menard's for about 12
years now.  In fact, I'm on my second set.  I have had some sticking
problems also.  I tried cornmeal, but the meal burned up in my gas oven and
filled my kitchen with stinky smoke.  It didn't help the flavor of my
bread, either.  What works best for me is to preheat my oven for about half
an hour as hot as it will go before baking.  This sears the bottom of the
bread when I place it onto the tiles, and it usually doesn't stick.

Thanks, Kris, for the tip on cleaning the tiles inside your self-cleaning
oven.  I just installed one of these in my kitchen, and am glad to know
that all of that energy can be used to do 2 jobs instead of 1. I also want
to say that this is a terrific resource for bread bakers!  I've learned a
great deal by subscribing to this list, and I'm no beginner.  Keep up the
great work everybody!  And happy baking!

Terry