Fleischmann's

"Marilee Evans" <mfevans@myrealbox.com>
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:04:08 -0700
v102.n036.23
Sandy says "bought some yeast that I would like some tips using.  I have
always used the yeast that is in the little envelopes.  This is
Fleischmann's Instant Yeast and it is in a vacuum sealed, 16 oz. brick package"

I've been buying that yeast for 5 or 6 years now, and have done "all of the
above" as in on the shelf, in the freezer, etc.  It all worked for
me.  Biggest breakthrough I made was to decant enough to fill a small jam
jar and store the rest of the bag in the freezer while keeping the jam jar
in the fridge.  It's a lot harder to spill my jar than it was to spill from
the opened bag.

I was told from the start that 1 tablespoon full equaled 1 envelope of
yeast.  Over the years I have come to use less and less.  Right now I use 1
teaspoon to 7 cups of flour.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring.  But I
guarantee that my next batch of baguettes is going to start baking in a
cold and wet oven.  What an iconoclastic idea!  No wonder I read my
bread-baker messages first.

Marilee