Re: mashed potato flakes

Ben_McGehee@asburyseminary.edu (Ben McGehee)
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 07:25:08 -0400
v102.n024.5
Maija wrote:
 > I've read that using potato flour increases moisture and shelf
 > life in yeast breads.  Is it possible to substitute mashed potato
 > flakes for the same purpose?

I have successfully used potato flakes in my bread. I usually put them into
my mortar and crush them into a fine powder, so that it would measure the
same as potato flour. When I read the ingredients on my potato flakes it
had one major item: Potato, and a few chemicals for texture and storage.
I'd imagine it's pretty similar to regular potato flour.

When I make bread with it, the dough seems a little softer, probably
because it can absorb more water, but it's not too sticky. It does seem to
increase moisture in bread, but I can't vouch for the shelf life. My breads
almost always grow mold before they get so stale that reheating or toasting
won't fix it.

Ben McGehee