Crusty Bread with Large Random Holes in Crumb

"Shauna S. Roberts" <ShaunaRoberts@nasw.org>
Mon, 27 May 2002 11:56:40 -0500
v102.n023.6
Nick Halbrook  wrote in Bread-Bakers vol 102 #22:

 >I am interested in learning how to make crusty bread with large random
 >holes in the crumb...

I'm not familiar with the bakerie you mentioned. But one method that has
worked well for me for creating large holes in bread is to beat the dough
with a rolling pin. No kidding! During the first knead, knead it partially,
then whack it with a rolling pin from various directions 100 times, folding
it over on itself every so often.

I learned this tip from _The Village Baker: Classic Regional Breads from
Europe and America_ by Joe Ortiz.

--
Shauna S. Roberts
http://www.nasw.org/users/ShaunaRoberts/