Big Mixers

Nifcon@aol.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:12:22 EDT
v101.n044.4
Carolyn

Before you settle on a KA mixer you should at least consider a Kenwood - I
have had a Kenwood Chef mixer for 25 years and it has cost me a total of
$25 in spares in that time and $15 of that was a set of motor brushes which
all machines will need every so often. They're really built to last and my
model will knead 2 kilos of VERY stiff San Francisco Sourdough for 10
minutes without complaint. Due to it's bowl shape and planetary action it
also handles small quantities (e.g. 1 egg white) very well.

The catch is price - a new Chef model will set you back about $350 and
there's not much discounting of Kenwoods but it is a superb machine.

As an aside, although I do all my dough mixing and main kneading in the
Kenwood I always give the dough a brief hand kneading before first rise -
call me mystical if you like but the dough seems to appreciate the touch of
hands.