Re: Kitchenaid mixer

"Greg Carpenter" <bredhead@breadworks.com>
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:23:00 -0400
v101.n044.5
Carolyn,
     The Kitchenaid mixers are quite versatile.  Professionals like them
because parts and accessories are so widely available.  Accessories allow
you to do everything from making flour to grinding sausage. They are pretty
well made and can be easily fixed if they do break.  The best model for
breadmaking is the "professional" model, which includes an overload
protection switch and a slightly more powerful motor.  Better still is the
Hobart 5 qt, which is a heavier duty version of a Kitchenaid (Hobart owns
kitchenaid).  I've inspected the Rival/Kenwood mixers and they look quite
robust, but I've never used one and I'd doubt there are many accessories
available for them.
     The downside to Kitchenaids and all other orbital-pattern mixers is the
mixing action.  Orbital mixing works well for batters and egg foams but it's
not an efficient pattern for developing gluten.  An orbital mixer basically
bludgeons the dough into shape, creating a random arrangement of gluten
strands and creating a lot of heat as well.  There are ways to compensate
for these deficiencies.
     Although I have yet to use one, I'm impressed with the design of the
non-orbital mixing machines that are becoming more popular.  The kneading
action seems to be both gentle and effective.  King Arthur Flour's Baker's
Catalog has a couple varieties. If breadmaking is your primary activity
these look like the way to go.
     Keep us posted if you buy a mixer!

Greg
Petoskey, MI