Flaxseeds

Ellen Lee <leep@mkl.com>
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:28:09 -0400
v101.n024.3
Diane, you can grind flax seeds easily in a blender. The seeds are
very small, so I'm not sure that a coffee grinder would work. They
are quite hard, so I wouldn't leave them whole. I have added flax
seed meal to virtually every loaf of bread I have made for several
years. I think that I started because I read an article that stated
that the meal is associated with lowering cholesterol levels. Flax
seed is nutritious and adds good fiber to your diet. The seeds also
have a laxative effect for some people, so it's a good idea to start
out with a small amount per loaf if anyone in your family has a
sensitive or an irritable bowel. I use 1/2 cup per two pound loaf of
any kind of bread. I don't change the amount of any flours, and I
have had no problems.

Ellen Lee