review - Betsy's Favorite White Bread

Fri, 23 Mar 2001 19:32:59 -0800
v101.n016.24
Here is a loaf of wonderful white bread ... it is from

Perfect Bread
How To Conquer Bread Baking
by Betsy Oppenneer

This is a video tape that is wonderful!!  I used to make bread by hand when
my daughters were young.  But I sure wish I had this tape then to not only
learn how to make it correctly by hand but to learn some of Betsy's
secrets.  This is a very good tape for beginning bakers but bakers who have
been baking by hand can pick up some tips/tricks also.  I know that I will
watch this tape more times so that I can learn even more.  Jeff watched it
also and wanted to try making some by hand.  When our house remodel is
completed (June or if we get our kitchen back before then) he is going to
give it a try.  I asked my daughter, Susan, to review the tape also ....
she has never made a hand made loaf till now.  She made the white bread
recipe below and it turned out very, very well!!  She learned a lot from
the tape and chose to attempt this method.

Betsy's Favorite White Bread

2 1/2 cups warm water
2 (1/4 ounce) or 2 scant tablespoons active dry yeast
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons oil
7 cups unbleached flour, approximately

Directions are in the video.

Here is another review by another friend of mine, Leigh, who has been
making bread for many years also.  Here is her review of this tape...

 >Okay, so I watched the first video on making bread.  I've been making bread
 >off and on for close to thirty years now, and figured I would be fast
 >forwarding through much of it.  Imagine my surprise when I actually learned
 >several new things!  The whole family ended up watching it with me.  I
 >thought it covered all the basics well, and included some techniques with
 >which I was not familiar.  I would definitely recommend it for any beginner,
 >and for some of  us who are just starting to make bread well.
 >
 >Leigh
Leigh Davidson <leighd@attglobal.net>

You can go to Betsy's website www.breadworksinc.com to purchase both of her
video's and book.  I definitely recommend all of these!!

Reggie