answers from Lora Brody

Blanche007@aol.com
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:22:19 EST
v101.n016.20
 > I have always been intrigued by the beautiful braided surface of Challah
 > bread so I finally decided to make a loaf. Looking through my books for a
 > good recipe I discovered that some recipes call for a small braid placed
 > on top of the main braided loaf. I believe this has some symbolism in the
 > Jewish faith and would appreciate someone educating me.

 > Thank you. Dick Carlton, Brookings, OR

Dick - it means the person who baked the bread had some dough left over from
making the big braid and didn't want to waste it.  The round challa at Rosh
Hashona (Jewish New Year) means lots of things to lots of people.  In our
home it symbolizes the circle of life, how each year completes it's own
circle.
----

 > --------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v101.n014.5 ---------------

 > From: "Linda Garber" <linda@gov.ns.ca>
 > Subject: Dough Enhancer
 > Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:14:18 -0400

 > Here's the one I got from this or another list with the notes of
 > the original poster.
 > A DOUGH ENHANCER.

 > 1 Cup Lecithin granules
 > 1 Tbsp Vitamin C Powder
 > 1 Tbsp Ground Ginger

 > I mix these ingredients together and store them in my refrigerator
 > using either a ziplock bag or an empty  jar. As a guideline, I
 > prefer using 1 Tbsp of this mixture per loaf. However, you can use
 > 1 tsp per cup of flour.

Linda - be careful about your use of ginger.  Too much  can act as a yeast
inhibitor along with cinnamon and some other spices.