Books for Kathleen

"Pedro S. Arellano III" <psa3@qwest.net>
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:08:04 -0600
v101.n016.21
Hello my name is Pedro.  I have gone through about 200 lbs. of flour
in 2 1/2 years (so you get an idea of how much experience I have).  I
don't like books which have snobby ingredients for which you have to
scour health food stores.  Maybe I should say I like recipes that
sound like they come from the kitchen of mom or grandma (although as a
Mexican I didn't get too many recipes for bread from mom or Grandma).
Nevertheless here are my candidates for necessary bread books.  Don't
get me wrong I am adventurous, just not snobby.

With this in mind the books I would recommend to Kathleen are:

"The Bread Book" By Betsy Oppenneer.
I also highly recommend her videos.  I think this should be a
standard.  It has over 200 recipes and a lot of helpful tips.

"Beths' Basic Bread Book" ??? By Beth Hensperger.
I would recommend anything by Beth Hensperger.

"Secrets of Jesuit Bread Making" By Brother Rick Curry S.J.
These are good basic recipes.  It also has readings which give me--
warm fuzzies.

"Beard on Bread" By James Beard.
two words one name, James Beard enough said.

"Judy Gormans' Breads of New England"
These are pure Grandmaesqe recipes.  It may be a little hard to find.

"World Sourdoughs From Antiquity"  By Ed Wood.
If you like sourdough than you MUST have this book.  It is a bit
snobby, but you will not find a book with more details about baking
with sourdough.

These are MY choices.  However you may be an "I only use organic
stoneground..." kinda person.  So the thing I would recommend more
than anything is that you preread any perspective books.  Find what
you like.  More than once I have brought something home from which I
ended up getting a mere handful of recipes.