art vs science

"Virginia" <vmill@alltel.net>
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:39:30 -0500
v100.n076.16
I was so glad to read Alan Jackson's closing line last week, "...for
scientists cooking is an experimental science, for artists food is just
another medium for creating artworks.  Engineers probably will actually
follow the directions."  With all the theories about weight, internal temps,
and so on, I thought I must be the only person who gets up in the morning,
throws whatever I can put my hands on (plus some yeast) into the Cuisinart
and that's our bread for the next few days.  However, I'm glad to know that
someone is following the directions!

I don't have a bread machine, but I do have a circa 1976 KitchenAid mixer,
which is still going strong.  For those who are concerned about adapting
bread machine recipes for the mixer or processor or just hands, all I do is
use my basic bread recipe and add or change ingredients as I go along, using
the bread machine recipe as a guide.  Since the recipe has already been
adapted for a machine, this works.  You couldn't take one of the "artisan"
bread recipes and do this, for the special proportions and handling are key
to the success of the bread.

All that said, my next loaf is going to be Monti's Roman Bread (thanks,
Tarheel Bob!), and I want a kitchen  idays!r Christmas!eel Bob!), and i
directions!and handling are key to the success of the bread.hine, this
usually workscale for Christmas!

Happy Holidays!
Virginia
Scottish Crofters