Uses for Cranberry Sauce

"Amy A. Smereck" <aasmereck@mindspring.com>
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:56:02 -0500
v100.n076.15
Here is a recipe from The American Country Inn Bed and Breakfast Cookbook,
by Kitty and Lucian Maynard, which may fill the bill for your cranberry
sauce excess.  I have yet to try it, so I cannot vouch for its
deliciousness but it sounded good to me.

Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake

1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp almond extract
8 oz whole cranberry sauce
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cream butter and sugar together, add eggs, beat well.  Mix dry ingredients
together, and add alternately with sour cream to butter mixture.  Add
extract.  Place 1/2 of batter on bottom of greased tube pan.  Swirl 1/2 of
cranberry sauce over batter.  Sprinkle with half of walnuts.  Repeat
layers.  Bake at 350F 55 - 60 minutes.

You might be able to freeze the sauce, or use in place of jam for a
crumb-bar type cookie.  I think a yeast bread would be weighed down by the
addition of the sauce, unless maybe it was rolled up as a filling,
cinnamon-roll style or some such.  Hey-that might be good, with some cream
cheese icing on top....Darn, now I'm hungry again.

Amy