food scales

"Bev Carney" <sinkcar@prodigy.net>
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 12:39:24 -0600
v100.n074.8
I have used the Soehlne basic digital model (around $50) for a couple of
years and I love it.  The maximum it will weigh is 4 lbs, but I find that
adequate.  It has an easy tare feature and will weigh both ounces and grams.
For ounces, it reads in the tenths of an ounce which I find more convenient
than the 1/4 and 1/3 ounces some other machines use. While I have a
non-digital scale stored in the basement, I find the digital one quicker and
easier to use.  My non-digital one doesn't have a tare feature though and
that makes a big difference.

Weighing ingredients seems to us to be a real time saver: I regularly use it
for flour and sugar and cocoa.  I use a bread machine and am working towards
100% whole wheat.  Now I'm using 7 ounces wheat and 2 ounces white per loaf
and having a scale makes this easier.  I particularly like it for brown
sugar - you don't have to pack the cup, just weigh the proper amount.  I
would highly recommend a scale.