GRANDMA'S BROWN BREAD (steamed in cans)

robert & Keri Cathey <rkcathey@ionet.net>
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 17:03:52 -0500
v100.n054.12
@@@@@
GRANDMA'S  BROWN  BREAD

1 qt milk (4 c)
1 c molasses
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
2 c white flour
4 c graham (or rye) flour
2 tsp soda
2 tsp salt
1 box raisins

"From my maternal Grandmother, who inherited the recipe from her German
mother.  Every year at our annual family weekend reunion, this is a
must, as well as our homemade noodles fixed with salt pork and tomatoes
and German Kuchen."

Dump measured ingredients into large bowl or pan.  Mix well.  Put in
individual cans with spring tops, or can use soup cans-vegetable cans
with waxed paper or foil on top.  (Use rubber band to anchor waxed
paper).

Put in steamer with water 1/2 way up the cans and steam for 2 hours.
(If steamer is not available, a Dutch oven with a cover, or even a
covered roasting pan could be used).  After steaming for 2 hours, put in
350 degree oven for 15 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.  (If
toothpick test is clean after steaming, this step can be omitted).
Makes approximately 5-6 tins.  (I spray Pam into the cans before adding
batter, and let cool slightly before removing from cans).

(Confession from Keri - this is NOT my own family's recipe.  I received
the recipe with the family reunion description on it, but, alas, no name
of the originator.)