Re: Digest bread-bakers.v100.n053

SloSherri@aol.com
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 06:50:24 EDT
v100.n054.11
In a message dated 7/29/00 03:09:09 Pacific Daylight Time,
bread-bakers-errors@lists.best.com writes:

<< With regard to the excess moisture, have you checked to make sure that you
 are measuring correctly and that your measuring cup is not off?  Since you
 have to add more to all recipes, maybe the measurements themselves are off.

I have to add my two cents here... the original post and the subsequent
replies all confirm my belief that the easiest and most accurate way to
measure is by weight.  It is also faster!  I have a reasonably inexpensive
electronic scale (it cost about $45 from King Arthur), that has a tare option
(it permits you to zero the scale as you add each ingredient), and the
ability to convert to grams (good for weighing my parrot!)  It is very
accurate, and much faster when baking, as all you need to do is dump (for
example) 17 ounces of flour into a bowl for a 4-cup recipe.  None of that
fluffing and spooning into the measuring cup rannygazoo.  The same is true
for liquid measures as well.

I am on vacation for two weeks and just made pizza for my hosts last night.
Ugh!  I had to measure with measuring cups, LOL!

Sherri