Finnish rye bread recipe

robert & Keri Cathey <rkcathey@ionet.net>
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:55:18 -0500
v100.n054.8
Dear Lynn,

I'm not sure if this will be the Finnish rye bread recipe for which your
friend is looking, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway, just in
case.  I don't have the Finnish name, but the English name fit well
enough.  <G>

Regards - Keri Cathey, Tulsa OK

@@@@@
FINNISH  RYE  BREAD

1 1/2 c boiling hot water
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c molasses
2 tbsp shortening
1 pkg yeast
1/4 c warm water

   Cool first 4 ingredients to lukewarm; add yeast softened in warm
water.  Add: 1/2 tsp. anise seed 1 tsp. fennel seed (optional) 3 tsp.
grated orange rind   Add 2 cups rye flour; mix well.  Add 3 1/2 cups
white flour; mix well. Knead on floured board until elastic.  Let rise
until doubled in bulk. Form into loaves and put into greased pans and
let rise.  Bake 1 hour in 350 degree oven.  Makes 2 loaves.  Double
recipe for more.