??recipes for brioche

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 06:06:37 -0500
v100.n049.12
OK, I am on a "quest"....  :)

I would like to solicit your favorite brioche recipes.  I have a number of
recipes and have tried several of them, but I am hunting for the most
wonderful, buttery, egg-y bread that yields delectable taste treats.  I
figured this was the best place to find out what your favorites are....

Since we are on the subject of brioche, here is a recipe that I love to
make when we have houseguests for breakfast or brunch.  I have included it
below.  I typically like to make a large loaf of brioche in one of the
larger-sized loaf pans.  If I had a Pullman pan I might try that,
too....just to get a uniformly square piece of bread that I could cut for
the French toast pieces.  Something to try for the future when I get one of
those pans...

Regards,
Joan
Email:  joanm@bigfoot.com

French Toast made with Brioche
==============================

Makes:  6 slices (3-4 servings)

2/3 c. whole milk, heavy cream, or half-n-half
4 large eggs
2 T. sugar or maple syrup
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. nutmeg (optional)
6 thick slices brioche (1/2-3/4") -- optionally, you may cut
   each slice on the diagonal, making two triangles from each
   whole slice of bread

Preheat griddle or large cast-iron skillet.

Whisk together cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg in a
shallow-bottom bowl or casserole dish.  Place sliced bread flat into dish,
ensuring that each piece lays flat in liquid.  Turn the slices in the
liquid until they are saturated but not falling apart.

Melt 2 T. unsalted butter in preheated griddle or skillet.  Place bread
slices in skillet, ensuring that they are not overcrowded; cook until the
underside is golden brown.  Turn the bread and cook on the second side
until it is golden.  Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200F oven while
you are cooking the rest of the bread slices.

Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.  These are excellent when served with
maple syrup; bacon, ham, or sausages; and fresh fruit.

--
Email: joanm@bigfoot.com
Please contact me BEFORE sending attachments!