Freezing Tip and Sourdough Discovery

ehgf@primenet.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 01:31:55 +0800
v100.n049.13
Hi All,

I like, many of you, double wrap my loaves in aluminum foil when freezing
them. You may use one sheet if you are using heavy duty foil. It is
important to wrap closely, pressing out any air as you go. I place
individually wrapped rolls in a freezer bag as well for easy retrieval and
a bit more protection. I ALWAYS write the name of the bread and the date of
baking directly on the foil on the bottom of the loaf with a permanent
marker. This avoids having mystery loaves, allows me to know what types of
breads I have on hand, and lets me utilize my baked goods in a timely manner.

Last year I made a sourdough banana bread from "World Sourdoughs from
Antiquity". To use sourdough starter in something sweet seemed intriguing.
The result was a moist banana bread with a distinct "cheesecake-like"
flavor. Yesterday while trying to find ways to use up some active starter,
I made another sweet batter bread with the same complimentary cheesecake
flavor as a result. Thought others might be interested in this use of
starter since it is a quick and easy way to use starter and gives a
different dimension to  good, but sometimes ordinary quick breads. Here is
the recipe I tried yesterday.

Enjoy!
Ellen aka Gormay

LEMON SOURDOUGH BREAD
 From "America's Bread Book" by Mary Gubser

1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
Grated rind of 1 lemon*
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup lemon juice*
1/3 cup water*
1 cup sourdough starter made with white flour
Confectioner's Icing made with lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 9 inch loaf pan. Cream the butter with the
sugar and grated rind until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time,
beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda.
In a small bowl combine the lemon juice and water. Add the dry ingredients
to the butter mixture alternately with the lemon mixture, beating until
fluffy. Fold in the sourdough starter until batter is smooth. Pour into the
loaf pan and bake 1 hour, or until bread tests done. Leave the bread in the
pan and place on wire rack 10 minutes. Turn out and brush with the
Confectioner's Icing while warm**. Quick bread is much easier to slice
after it has cooled.

Confectioner's Icing: Combine 1 cup confectioner's sugar with 2 tsp lemon
juice and enough water to make a creamy frosting.

* I used the rind and juice of 2 medium lemons. They yielded a little bit
more than 1/3 cup of juice. I added enough water to end up with the
required 2/3 cup liquid.

**I applied the icing after the loaf had fully cooled. Instead of melting
into the loaf, the icing stayed solid while drizzling down the sides. This
is just another option for flavor and presentation.