Response to the Elephant ear quest

Dan Erwin <dherwin@soltec.net>
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 19:35:53 -0500
v100.n049.8
Thank you for the response both on and off the digest.

I took note that there are many ways to make these snacks in the oven. Many
were in reference to puff pastries. I went to the grocery store and found
that the frozen puff pastries were quite expensive.

One individual suggested using a small cinnamon roll (referring to any
recipe you would use to make cinnamon rolls) and rolling it between waxed
paper, then lightly painting it with melted butter or margarine, then
sprinkling brown sugar and finely chopped pecans on it, then rolling it
again on the waxed paper, transporting it onto a parchment paper and baking
it. I baked it at 400 degrees for 12 minutes. The dough ended up at about
1/16" thick before baking; after the baking they were nearly 1/8", and
after cooled, crisp, crunchy  and delicious. The brown sugar had been
caramelized. I would imagine that the fact that it was baked on an AirBake
pan prevented any burning. Anyway, I ended up with 22 of then, at
approximately 8" diameter. I would strongly suggest that anyone who is
diet-minded definitely not make them--------THEY'RE ADDICTIVE !!!
Dan