shaping loaves and freezing bread

Nifcon@aol.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 03:32:00 EDT
v100.n049.9
David King wrote about problems shaping loaves 'cinnamon roll' style.

I have had such breads come apart when the dough being rolled up has still
been oily from oil used in the rising container - the oil separates the
layers of dough during baking - when you knock the dough back prior to
shaping make sure you knead long enough for the dough to absorb any surface
oil - shouldn't take longer than a minute. Also you must be sure to prove
the loaves seam side down - obvious I know but I once proved loaves seam
side up when I was learning to make bread and they did come apart.

On the subject of freezing bread I freeze bread a lot since it keeps with
no loss of flavour or texture for at least 3 months sealed in heavy duty
polyethylene freezer bags and I can make a large batch of loaves in one
session and keep the surplus ones until needed - It's not much more effort
to make 4 or 6 loaves instead of one. I defrost the loaves wrapped in paper
kitchen towels for 8 minutes in a 550 watt microwave set on low (called
'defrost' on some models) for a 1/2 pound loaf about 10 to 11 minutes for a
1 pound loaf.

John Wright
nifcon@aol.com