Shaping loaves

Alexgejp@aol.com
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:25:45 EDT
v100.n049.7
This is in response to David King's request for tips for shaping bread.
David, I have been baking bread for approx. 16 years and my bread always
turns out beautifully.  I always make two loaves.  At the end of the second
rise, I punch the dough down and, using a dough scraper, knead the dough
five or six times while still in the bowl.  I then remove the dough to a
lightly floured marble surface and use my hands to shape it into a
semblance of a square.  Then, using a large sharp knife, I cut the dough in
half.  Place the cut side of each half in the flour on the marble, then
into the bread pan which has been liberally sprayed with PAM.  I then
simply pat the dough to fit the inside of the pan.  When I first started
baking, I tried pressing the dough out into a rectangle, then rolling jelly
roll style, pinching the seams together as I rolled.  This seemed like a
lot of additional work to me.  I can tell no difference in the appearance
of my bread then and now.  Hope this helps.

Joy Alexander