Dry, fat-free bread

Haacknjack@aol.com
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:45:28 EST
v100.n030.17
I have a question for all of you bread bakers!  I like to use
prune/applesauce purees in my bread machine recipes...(to substitute for
the oil.)  The breads also rise well, have a good texture, slice well,
etc.  However, they tend to taste "dry" by the following day.  Maybe I'm
not storing the bread correctly or maybe this is just a hazard of trying
to lower the fat content.   Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Becky
mteacher@mindspring.com

Becky -- the main purpose of the oil or other fat added to bread is to keep
it moist.  So I'd vote that yes, the dry crumblies are a result of trying to
lower the fat content.  Some things to try:

(a) You can try keeping the loaf wrapped in a damp paper towel inside your
plastic (I hope a zipper-type) storage bag, you might get another day out of
it.

(b) Try lecithin as a fat substitute ... it comes granulated and a tablespoon
or so per recipe may give you a decent middle ground.  I usually mix it up
with the flour just to be sure it disperses well, no special handling needed.

(c)  Also, an ancient-but-fun technique for reviving dry bread -- take a
brown Kraft-paper bag (for instance, a lunch bag) and run water all over the
outside of it.  Put your bread inside and seal the end (roll down the top of
the bag a couple of times, like for lunch).  Put the whole assembly into a
300 - 325* oven for about 10 minutes.  The bag will get crispy and your bread
will become soft!

The best approach is probably to bake little and often -- eat it the same day
and you'll eliminate the problem!  (grin)