Re:Sourdough

Socko47@aol.com
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 09:45:38 EST
v100.n030.16
In a message dated 03/25/2000 7:11:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bread-bakers-errors@lists.best.com writes:

<< I have found that the easiest way to get a nice tangy sourdough flavor is
  simple let the dough rise twice >>

This comment reminded me of the technique used to make Poilane's Bread in
Bernard Clayton's book on French Breads: it is my favorite bread. The
procedure is to make a starter three days ahead by mixing one cup of whole
wheat flour, one cup of warm water, one tablespoon of powdered milk, and one
packet of yeast. This is allowed to sit, covered in a warm place for 24
hours. Then two cups of warm water and three cups of regular or bread flour
are mixed in and this is allowed to sit for 24 hours. The final day you add
the final flour and salt to make the bread.
    I would think this approach could work for a lot of bread making to make
it more in the sourdough style. I have found surprisingly different tastes by
using different company's whole wheat flour. My favorite is Gold Medal. I
have varied this recipe by using honey instead of powdered milk for a friend
with severe lactose intolerance. I even, on occasion, added some rye flour
at different stages, both for variation and to come closer to the actual
bread made by Poilane, who has his own special wheat raised for his bread.
        Joe