Cuisinart Pitas

"Chris Dalrymple" <chrisdd@bellsouth.net>
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 23:24:41 -0600
v100.n028.1
Gloria Martin...you read my mind! I tried this recipe for Pita Bread made in
the Cuisinart, and the very next morning, read your post...great timing! I
had been looking for a good pita recipe, and think I can stop looking
now...Mr. Clayton's version is fast, easy and delicious. I do have a
question, though...how do you prevent the blade shaft from getting gunked
up? I pour the liquids into the workbowl very slowly (while it's running),
as instructed in the Cuisinart manual. Any tips? TIA

Pita Bread made in the Food Processor
 From Bernard Clayton's "New Complete Book of Breads"

Makes eight 6" pitas; 3.5 grams of fat each

(My notes are in parentheses)

2 1/2 cups bread flour, approximately
      (used 1/2 KA Special for Machines and 1/2 KA white whole wheat)
2 tsp salt
1 T sugar
1 pkg dry yeast (2 tsp instant)
2 T oil, olive oil preferred
1 C hot water; 120-130 degrees
Eight 7" squares of aluminum foil (I used baking sheets)

Attach the steel blade. Place 1 cup flour and the other dry ingredients in
the work bowl. Pulse once or twice to blend the ingredients. Mix the oil
with the hot water and pour through the feed tube. Process for 15 seconds.
Remove the cover and add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough forms a
ball and rides the blade.

With the processor on, knead for 45 seconds. The dough should be soft and
perhaps slightly sticky. Use sprinkles of flour to control stickiness. Turn
from the bowl and knead by hand for a moment or two to be certain the dough
is of the right consistency.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll into
balls, cover with a towel or wax paper, and let rest for 20 minutes. (Dough
got dry under a towel; when the pitas puffed in the oven, the dry side was
thinner than the moist side)

With the palm of your hand flatten each ball into a disk. Finish with a
rolling pin, flattening the dough into a disk about 6" in diameter and 3/16"
thick. (Can have them 6" in diameter OR 3/16" thick; mine were much thinner)
Their thinness is more important than making them perfectly round.
Irregularity adds charm.

Place each round on a prepared piece of foil. Placing the rounds on the foil
rather than on a baking sheet or stone allows a softer heat to surround the
dough. A direct thrust of heat from a baking sheet would form a crust
difficult to puff. (Used baking sheets)

Carefully place 2 or 3 of the breads directly on the oven shelf. Bake for
about 8 minutes (only 5 minutes), or until they are puffed. Repeat with the
remaining disks. Place the pitas under the broiler for 2 minutes if browner
crusts are desired. (The pitas were very brown on the top when baked in the
middle of the oven)

Remove breads from the oven and wrap in a large piece of foil. (Towel) The
tops will fall and there will be a pocket in the center. Serve warm or let
cool and freeze. Thaw before using. To reheat, stack several in a pile, wrap
with foil, and place in a 375-degree oven for 10-15 minutes.