Creme Fraiche Recipe

Joni Repasch <jrepasch@wt.infi.net>
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 18:12:08 -0500
v100.n027.22
This is for Lynn E.Gragholm who requested information on creme fraiche
in 100-024.

It's my guess that you will not find the best of creme fraiche in this
country.  In all the years I have been buying it I have seen only one
brand, this, despite the different types of stores I've shopped in.
However, I am inclosing a recipe you might want to try.

Even though this recipe is from a French cookbook the ingredients you
will be using are of American origin.  I'll bet you anything in the
world that the French style of creme fraiche is made from the cream of
Guernsey or Jersey cows or the French equivalent.  These cows produce a
very rich milk, high in butterfat. Although there may be exceptions in
the US, most commercial milk is produced from Holsteins. These cows give
volumes of milk per cow, but the butterfat is much lower.

You might be able to find a richer type of cream sold at some health
food stores or coops.  If you're really lucky, perhaps you might find a
dairy farmer in your rural area that raises a Guernsey or Jersey cow who
would be willing to sell you some of his milk.  I know, that's a long
shot, but it's worth exploring.  As you probably know milk purchased
from a dairy or small farm is raw.  If you trust the farmer to have
healthy cows, you're okey, but many consider this a risk not worth
taking.

For what it's worth, my parents used to have a farm and we would
purchase milk by the gallon from our neighbors who sold the milk from
their cows to the local dairies.  We'd always ask for the milk from
their few Guernseys and it made wonderful butter, buttermilk and ice
cream. It seemed we get almost 1/2 butterfat to a gallon of milk. No one
ever got sick, either.

Oh, one more caveat to raw milk. In early spring cows allowed to fend
for themselves in the pastures will eat the wild garlic that comes up in
March-April.  The milk can take on the taste of the garlic and it's not
exactly tasty, even for garlic lovers.

Hope this recipe is similar to what you're looking for and you're able
to find the right creams for your endeavor.

Joni Repasch

  Creme Fraiche

1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
1 cup sour cream (full fat)

Combine the creams in a ceramic mixing bowl and whisk lightly together.

Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place (at warm
room temperature is sufficient) (72-75?) overnight for the culture to
develop.  (In cold weather, this may take up to 24 hours). At the end of
the maturing time, the cream mixture will be thick and subtly tart.

Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours.

Creme fraiche will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks and will
continue to develop its delicate tartness as it matures.

SOURCE: _La Cuisine: The Complete French Book of French Cooking_, eds:
Valerie-Anne Letoile, M. Maine, & M. Peter, Gallery Press, Division of
W. H Smith Pubs, Inc, New York, NY. 1985:122