Sourdough starter

Kejah@aol.com
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 17:34:37 EST
v100.n027.8
     Maureen asked for a recipe for a sourdough starter.  Here's the one I
used:

     3/4 cup plain (preferably homemade) yogurt*
     1/2 cup water
     1 1/2 C unbleached flour

     Mix everything together in a 2-quart glass or pottery bowl.  Cover
loosely with plastic wrap and let stand on top of the stove or on the
countertop for 3 days, stirring once a day.  (Don't use a metal spoon.)  It
should be bubbly after three days.  Every time you use it, replenish it with
two parts water and three parts flour.  I usually feed it with 2/3 C water
and 1 cup flour.

     *Making homemade yogurt is really easy and fun, especially if you have a
microwave oven so you can heat the milk that way instead of standing over the
stove stirring it.  Homemade yogurt is much better than "store-bought."  It's
so good that I actually prefer it plain!
     Kris