Re: Sourdough Starter

Natalie Frankel <natalie.frankel@mixcom.com>
Sun, 06 Feb 2000 22:02:53 -0600
v100.n013.23
To Tammie <galestormgalestorm19@netscape.net> asking about making your own
sourdough starter or using King Arthur's, this is the recipe I used.  I
also read through one of the sourdough starter websites (which I can't
recall now) that gave pages of information on what to do and I got some
good ideas on what to do.  I ended up using the method below, which I think
is rather standard.  I'm sure lots of others will reply to your post and
you'll have lots of great information.

Good luck!

Natalie in Milwaukee

           *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                              Sourdough Starter

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 1    Preparation Time :0:00 Categories    : Breads

     2      cups          flour
     1      teaspoon      salt
     3      tablespoons   sugar
     1      tablespoon    dry yeast
     2      cups          lukewarm water

Use a glass bowl or container.  Left covered on the counter out of the
fridge to ferment 2 to 3 days, the starter should become bubbly and ready
to use or store.
Because the live yeast responsible for the sourdough flavor is in the air,
starters made in different areas of the country may have slightly different
characteristics.
Once the starter mix is fed with flour and warm water, it must be left to
ferment about 12 hours, until bubbly. Then it can be stored in the
refrigerator to prevent over fermentation and used as the basis of bread,
biscuits and the like.
It must always be replenished with more flour and water to keep it active.
A clear brown liquid often forms on top of the stored starter, but it can
be simply stirred back in before use. The starter should have a yeasty,
slightly sour smell.