Hello John M

>From: jcoppard@awe.co.uk
>I find that a loaf made of half wholemeal and half
>unbleached strong white flour does best for me.

     Have you tried strong wholemeal as opposed to wholemeal as one of
your 50%'s ? Although normal wholemeal works OK, and I do use it
occassionally, I find that the strong gives a better texture (more
'bouncy') in my opinion. I *think* using all strong flour makes the bread
last longer but would be intersested in hearing the opinion of others. If
you prefer a denser (but still moist) loaf or (want a change), have a go
using spelt flour which is widely available in UK health food shops
(Dove's Farm do one).

>I use an American recipe book but the American recipes have too much
>sugar for me as I am a diabetic but  reducing the two tablespoons
>usually called for to one teaspoon does not effect the rise and gives a
>bread closer to UK style and flavour. Any comments?

     As for as I know, you don't have to worry about the sugar it only
speeds up the process and many people would say (time disregarded) that
going slowly improves the flavour. The yeast uses the 'sugar'  naturally
present in the flour, in fact I sometimes use a soya milk on my breakfast
cereal which is sweetened with wheat syrup. I use fresh yeast and add it
diluted with the water straight to the flour. I also leave the unkneaded
mixture for an hour or two to sponge. Sometimes I add sweetners such as
honey, malt extract and molasses but this is only for different flavours.
I don't think that dried yeasts *have* to be differently but I'm sure
someone will say if that is the case. As a point on fresh yeast; I find
it freezes very well and so I weigh a block into half ounce pieces and
put into an icecube tray. It defrosts fairly quickly in cold water.

>I use health store malted wholemeal and granary flours and supermarket
>white (Allison's or Marriage's) The 12p per 1.5kG seems a bit cheap and
>I usually find that 70-90p is asked for in most supermarkets. The
>wholemeal comes in at 99p - 1.12.

     With diabetes, is there a differences between white sugar and the
sugar in say malt extract? If there is , then try having a go at adding a
couple of tablespoons of malt extract, (diluted first in some of the
water which had been warmed) to your malt loaf recipe. It makes for a
lovely chewy loaf but may need a little extra cooking so it isn't soggy.

     Vernon

Vernon Webster
Harrogate
North Yorkshire