Horizontal bread makers

Jack Mallory <jackm@cats.ucsc.edu>
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 17:57:46 -0700
v098.n061.7
I have had the Zojirushi (sp?) 2 lb. bread maker for about 3 months.  I
bought it after buying my first ABM, an Oster vertical machine and using it
for 4 months.  I wanted a horizontal machine, and the customized
programming available for the Zo looked useful.

I am extremly pleased with the Zo.  The 2 paddles knead the dough
completely.  The programmable cycle is very useful, especially if you feel
you need to add additional kneading or rising time during the bread-making
process.  The pan is extremely easy to clean, and the machine will knead up
to four + cups of flour successfully.

After getting the Zo I also discovered what is for me the sine que non of
bread cookbooks, Rustic European breads from the Bread Machine, by Linda
Eckhardt and Diana Butts.  They have adapted a number of recipes from Joe
Ortiz's The Village Baker to ABM baking.  They provide very simple starter
recipes, and manage to get around the complex starter development and
timing in Ortiz's recipes.  Most of their recipes involve processing,
kneading, and first rising in the bread machine, with the second rise
outside the machine and baking in the oven.  If you like rustic european
style breads with great crusts like compagnon, seigle, pan a levain, etc.
this is a wonderful book.  The addition of starter preparation, hand
shaping, and baking in the oven is a minor inconvenience compared to the
quality of the result.  My wife says my breads are better than most of the
bakery breads in Santa Cruz, which admittedly has outstanding bakeries.

All I need now is a 12-step program for bread baking addicts.

Jack Mallory