German coffee cake

Lobo119@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 05 Nov 1997 13:11:47 -0700
v097.n068.17
This is my German grandmother's coffeecake recipe.  It sounds like it fits
the request that was made.  It's wonderful with slabs of REAL butter on it!
but it does stale quickly, so eat it up!  You can halve or third the
ingredients and make less.

GRANDMA ELSIE'S COFFEECAKE
Makes three 9 x 13 pans
1 cake yeast (she only used the old wet cake type ... substitute a couple
pkgs of dry yeast)
1 1/2 c. warm water
3/4 c. butter
3/4 c. sugar
enough flour to make soft dough
3 eggs
2 c. milk
dash of nutmeg,
1+ c. raisins
	Dissolve yeast in water and allow to expand.  Cream butter and sugar.  Add
eggs and all other ingredients, including yeast.  Let rise until double in
bulk.
	Put in greased and floured pans.  Pat the dough down and spread with
melted butter.

Mix together:   3/4 c. sugar
		1/2 c. brown sugar
		1/2 t. cinnamon

	Sprinkle sugar mixture on the top.  Take a teaspoon, using the back and
punch down on the dough, making holes so the sugar mixture falls into them.
 Don't let rise too long.  Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until done.
	Serve sliced and spread with LARGE gobs of butter.  If you don't like
raisins, pick them out and give them to Cousin Janice.  She likes them - at
least she used to.

	The instructions I received for this recipe were sketchy - "mix and bake"
were about it!  So I have added directions.  Grandma ALWAYS had this
coffeecake when we came over.  All of us who were not in church choir would
gather there on Wednesday nights to wait for the singers to finish
practice.  When they came, we'd have "lunch," which would include this
coffeecake and coffee as well as cake or cookies brought along by the aunts.
	How we all managed to fit into her tiny house baffles me!  There were
three rooms ... kitchen, "other" room and bedroom.  The place was about as
big as a 2-car garage, if that.  The three families which usually showed up
here could total 17 people.  With Grandma and my Downs uncle, that made 19
and I KNOW she didn't have 19 chairs in those two little rooms.  Of course,
not everyone came every time. -- Lobo