Cornbread Thank You

Douglas & Laurie Donofrio <donofri1@gte.net>
Wed, 05 Nov 1997 11:38:31 -0500
v097.n068.16
Thank you to everyone who sent me recipes for Cornbread with creamed
corn.  They were all wonderful and I fiddled with one until it "tasted
like Grandma's". (My husband would like  to add the word finally.  I am
forbidden to make cornbread again for at least a month.  But under the
circumstances I'd say that he loved all the recipes if he is willing to
have it again so soon.)  Below is the recipe for anyone who is
interested (substitutions do work well).  The time and temp are from the
original recipe, I'm temporarily stuck in an apartment with a
"tempermental" oven. So I cannot vouch for them, just check regularly,
because mine was done in 19 minutes.

Corn Bread

1    cup        yellow cornmeal
3/4  cup        all-purpose flour
1    tablespoon sugar
1    tablespoon baking powder
1/2  teaspoon   salt
3/4  cup        milk                (skim milk)
1               egg                 (1/4 cup egg substitute)
2    tablspoons vegetable oil       (1 tbsp. oil)
9    ounces     cream-style corn    (8 3/4 oz)
                vegetable cooking spray

Combine first 5 ingredaints in a bowl; make a well in the center.

Combine milk and next 3 ingredients; stir well.  Add to dry ingredients,
stirring just until moistened.

Place a 10 inch cast iron skillet in a 450 degree oven for 5 minutes.
Remove from oven; heavily coat skillet with cooking spray, and
immediately spoon batter into skillet.  Bake at 450 degrees for 27
minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yield: 9 servings (serving size: 1 wedge.)