Chicago Rye

LoisO43779@aol.com
Tue, 20 May 1997 17:26:11 -0400 (EDT)
v097.n037.12
Hi Joyce, I really appreciate your message.  I have the book you mentioned
"Secrets of a Jewish Baker" and was inspired again to try the sour rye
recipe.  I started the starter this morning.  Where did you grow up?

I make all of our bread and every once in a while I get a longing for good
rye bread.  The stuff from the supermarket is so awful.  Usually I make
french bread which we do love.   I put some oil in it so it lasts about 2
days.  I am using Julia Childs method of food processor bread and fine that
for one loaf using 3 1/2 cups of flour, it works great.  It's fast and with a
couple of long rises, the bread is delicious.  If you would like the recipe,
let me know. (My husband loves pan rolls made with milk and a little sugar.
They are very tender.)

Will try the pumpernickel too.  Thanks again for the inspiration.

Lois in Shelton, WA