Re: Dough Relaxer for Pizza

Joyce L Owen <jowen@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:30:21 +0100
v097.n033.17
Cindy asked about dough relaxer for pizza dough.

>I can never get my dough to roll out very thin---it fights me
>all the way.
Cindy, I used to have the same problem.  I have never tried dough relaxer,
but I found that letting the dough sit for about 15 minutes relaxes it
enough.  After your dough has risen, divide it into pan portions, and let
them relax.  Later, if the dough starts fighting you while you are rolling
it, leave it for another 5 minutes while you grate cheese, slice peppers,
stir sauce, or whatever.

Another tip for a thin crispy crust, if this is what you like, is to use a
little semolina flour in your dough.  It's is a tip I read on this list
recently (sorry, I forgot who suggested it). I use about 1/2 cup in a 2 1/2
cup recipe.  I just made pizza last night.  Yum.

Letting the dough sit awhile to relax works really well for any bread that
you have to roll or shape: for instance, forming long shapes (snakes or
worms come to mind) for making braided loaves like challa.

Joyce L. Owen           jowen@oregon.uoregon.edu
Eugene OR
Visit the Website of the Fanconi Anemia Research Fund, Inc.
http://www.rio.com/~fafund