soda-bread-recipes-request

Laurie Borgman <lborgman@worldonline.nl>
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:07:44 +0200 (MET DST)
v097.n030.2
Hi, I've been a member on this list for a couple of weeks now and I'm really
enjoying myself tremendously. Since I'm living next door to a bakery shop
that still does it's own baking (rare these days) I wake up every morning
with the smell of freshly made bread and it's wonderful. Therefore I haven't
felt the need to make my own for some years now.
This has changed due to illness. I have to find a way to make my own bread
without wheat or soy and without yeast or sourdough. It's not the same a
gluten-free, just wheatfree.
I thought of soda-bread and have tried some recipes, but the bread becomes
very compact and/or falls apart to small crumbs when I'm cutting it. When I
add rice-flour to it it's a bit better, stickier, but still not very
impressive. It's not the complete lack of gluten, as I may use rye-flour or
other kinds as well. I am not allowed to add other gluten as they are made
from wheat usually.
I wonder if some of you very experienced bakers would have an idea to make
this bread more like bread? Oh, and I don't have a machine, just a mixer and
a foodprocessor.
Thanks,

Laurie.