Ethiopian Injera bread

LIR119@delphi.com
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 08:18:58 -0400 (EDT)
v097.n030.1
  Well finally I had the opportunity to taste some honest to goodness injera
bread at a highly rated Ethiopian restaurant in New York City.
This may be of interest to some readers.
  All the food was served on the injera which lined the
plate. The bread whas shaped in a " rectangle " similar to a gentleman's
handkerchief. All four of our main course servings were served on the bread.
Even the salad with dressing was situated over the bread( a separate course
)
Actually no aesthetics here; everything seemed stewed although tasty.
   The injera itself was soft, pliable and springy; similar to a crepe in
softness but a bit thicker and spongier. The taste was rather bland and I
was surprised as no sour or fermented taste was present.
 The color off white and the texture most suitable to tear off
and pick up the food. No table utensils available, so the bread served as a
food plus a utensil!
   Extra bread was brought to the table either coiled up on
the platter or presented in stacked flat layers. I suspect since the bread
was all the same size and  clones of each other that it was comercially
produced.
   Truthfully, the bread made the meal and highlighted the dining experience
The injera was excellent and like no other bread I ever had. Ive tried some
recipes from the net; close not the same. And injera doesn't have to
be round!!
   If anyone is in Manhattan and wants an unusal dining experience, you may
want to try this place. Email me if you want the name.
P.S. oh I forgot to mention, you sit on little stools in front of a small
straw table. It's quite crowded, but then again, everything for everyone is
served all on one hugh platter.

Joan,"Flour Power"

`[1;33;44mRainbow V 1.18.3 for Delphi - Registered