Ethiopian bread

jowen@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU (Joyce L Owen)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 20:46:17 -0800 (PST)
v096.n061.6
A few weeks ago a kind person posted a recipe for Ethiopian bread.  It was
for a huge amount, a restaurant recipe.  I have made it twice now, adapting
it for a few servings.  It's great stuff - sort of an edible dinner plate,
and wonderful for serving foods that have sauces, juices, or gravies. It
seems like what we had in an Ethiopian restaurant a few years ago.  My son,
who is visiting right now, claims that his local Ethiopian restaurant uses
rice flour or tef (?), rather than wheat flour.  Does anyone out there know
what tef is?  Does anyone have experiece using all rice flour for this sort
of bread?  It's so good with the regular flour, I hate to mess with it.

For each serving use:
1 cup flour (or tef, or rice flour?)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Add enough water to make it the consistency of pancake batter.
You can add a tiny pinch of yeast, although this may not be necessary,
since there are probably enough microorganisms around to do the job.
Cover the bowl and let it sit for two or three days.  I leave it in the
oven with the light on.  It should get bubbly and sour.
Heat a large (12 inch) fry pan over medium heat.  Grease, or spray with
non-stick stuff.  Pour in some batter to cover the pan.  It should cook in
a few minutes.  The top should be spongy with holes in it, but not wet.
Don't turn over.  If the top does not cook, the batter may be too thick.
Add a little water.
Put one on each plate and heap other food on top.  Yum.

Joyce L. Owen           jowen@oregon.uoregon.edu
Eugene OR
Visit the Website of the Fanconi Anemia Research Fund, Inc.
http://www.rio.com/~fafund