why does bread ... ?

fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 16:04:48 -0500 (EST)
v096.n056.7
Thinking furiously, Timothy Shih wrote:
> --------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v096.n054.20 ---------------
>
> From: tshih@ucsd.edu (Timothy Shih)
> Subject: Basic dough/bread questions
> Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:45:33 -0800
>
> Please help me with some basic bread questions.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Why does dough have to be risen twice?

It doesn't. You can rise it only once if you wish (or in a hurry), but
you'll  find it has a much less satsifying texture to it.

> What happens  if risen  only once or if risen 3 (or more) times?

The few times I've had to rise it 3 times (usually because I "forgot" about
it during the second rise and had to punch down, knead, and re-shape the
loaves) they had a even nicer fine texture than usual.

> How many times will dough rise before the yeast becomes "exhausted"?

Duno. I've never taken it to that point. Eventually it would turn into
sourdough, I think, before the yeast ran out of food (there's a lot of
carbohydrates in the bread, and that's what the yeast lives on).

> How come my machine never makes bread like Wonder (super soft air/pillow) bread?

Well, when I make bread by hand (not having a machine) it isn't like
WonderBread fluffy stuff either, and I'm happy!

> Can I (should I?) add preservatives to keep my bread longer like store bought?

I don't know what preservatives you are referring to. I just always make
sure to use a little salad oil in my breads, which helps keep it moist
for a couple of days. Anything that's not going to be used for more than
a day or two goes into the freezer.

> All other things being equal, do different yeasts make the bread taste
> different?

Yup. Though it's pretty subtle. Back when the quick-rise yeasts first
came to my attention I found the flavor a little different compared to
what I was used to.

Fred
--
 .----    Fred Smith    /                        Office: fred@computrition.com