A few things

mvinqvist@mta.ca (Mindy)
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 09:24:28 -0400
v096.n056.8
Hi Everybody!

A few things to comment on, starting with a recipe....

I had a craving for tuna pizza the other night (I'm pregnant, what can I
say? Besides, I'ts yummy) and for fun I put herbs into the crust, and it
suddenly became extra yummy.  So, for fun, I thought I'd share the recipe.

Pizza Dough (for ABM)
3/4 c + 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp each dried rosemary and oregano
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 1/2 c flour
2 tsp yeast
Prepare according to your machine's instructions for dough.  When dough is
finished, spread onto greased pizza pan.  Add toppings.  Cook 425, 15-17 min.

Tuna Pizza Topping
1/2 c mushrooms, sliced (I use canned but fresh is probably better)
1/2 c onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 10oz can tomato soup
1 7oz can tuna
1 tsp oregano
chili powder to taste
Heat olive oil in pan and saute onion, mushroom and garlic until tender, but
not brown.  Add tuna, tomato soup and seasonings.  Let cool slightly before
spreading onto pizza dough.

This tastes better, I find, topped with cheddar cheese rather than mozarella.

Now don't squinch up your noses and say "ewwwww" until you try it!

Also, Kenneth Athon wrote and asked about preservatives and adding them to
bread.  I am not completely sure why I am answering, because my answers fall
into the "I'm not sure" category, but I am a chemical researcher who studies
antioxidants.  If you notice your breakfast cereal box, it has BHT on the
label, which is an antioxidant/preservative.  You can't buy BHT in the
stores, and really shouldn't wan't to as it is a synthetic antioxidant BUT I
brought it up to tell you that antioxidants are used as preservatives.  The
best natural ones I know of are Vitamin C (which is water soluble but
sensitive to heat) and Vitamin E (which is lipid/fat soluble and might stand
up to heat a bit better).  Beta Carotene is also thought to be good by some
scientists (don't know about heat sensitivity).  Maybe you could find
Vitamin E enriched oil to use, or use carrots for beta-carotene, or use
orange juice in your recipes to help preserve your breads?

And finally, Elaine wrote and asked about converting machine recipes to hand
recipes.  Elaine, if you already know how to make bread by hand (which I
agree is lots of fun, though my machine has convinced me that it is more
convenient), you should have no troubles at all converting recipes to
hand...double the ingred (I would anyway, might as well make two loaves as
one if you're going to get your hands dirty anyway) and use your knowhow on
how the bread 'feels' to adjust dry/wet ingred.  And enjoy!

smiles

Mindy